Monday, January 09, 2006

Unless you're guilty, you have nothing to worry about

I am continually amazed (see comments on the "bathroom" post below) at the American public's ability to smile while they say, "The President can do whatever he wants, as long as he says it will keep me safe. I don't need to know anything about it - in fact, it's better if I don't know. I trust him completely with all my freedoms." I've said many times since that date that we went collectively insane as a society on 9/11/01, and it may take generations for us to come out of it. (Even Sybil listened to her therapist.)

So it has struck me in the last few months how conservative blogger John Cole has begun to question, on many fronts, the Bush Administration's War on an Abstract Concept. Here's what he said to the latest news that Homeland Security (a creepy name if there ever was one) may be reading your mail:

Once again, another government practice that is news to me. And, of course, I will be told that the government has long had the authority to do this, that it is necessary to keep me ‘safe,’ and that I really shouldn’t worry about it- just like torture and the Patriot Act, this is vital to our security.

At what point will these people have all the damned tools they need to fight terrorism?

Preach it, brother.

1 comment:

FLAMINGO1 said...

I hear ya.

On one hand he tells us that he is protecting the U.S. and the Constitution. Then he completely violates the constitution to achieve this "protection."

Not only is he more of a danger to our freedom and to our Constitution than any terrorist, he is also completely violating the Oath of Office under which he promises to uphold the Constitution of the United States of America.

Terrorists can indeed take our lives, but they will never take our freedom.

Bush is taking our freedom and sparing our lives.

The question is whether those lives will be worth living without the freedom.