- Those who criticize the government are routinely branded as traitors.
- The executive branch has unlimited power, and no accountability to either the people or the legislature.
- Political opposition is nearly non-existent.
- The government takes prisoners who are tortured and held without representation or charges for months or years in secret facilities.
- Intellectuals and universities are routinely considered fifth columns. Anti-intellectualism is rampant.
- Those who strive for civil liberties, both at home and abroad, are demonized.
- The government has started a war that has no definition, and no end. Only the government has the power to define this war and its combatants, however it sees fit.
- The press participates eagerly in the propagandization of the people, and requires no accountability from the government.
Where do we live? What year is this?